What if there were eight questions that would help you navigate suffering in your life?
I imagine there are some people who feel they have never suffered, but I have not met any of them. Most people on this planet have experienced trials and tribulations on their personal journey. Bad things have happened, beyond personal control, that have created drama or chaos. Plot twists happen daily.
And, to be sure, no one wants to win the competition of who is suffered the most. Suffering sucks.
With that in mind, it becomes important to get clarity about the stories you are telling yourself about your situation. And, then consciously choosing to align yourself with the stories that empower you, despite the suffering. Furthermore, this is not easy stuff. In fact, managing yourself and making smart choices when you are suffering is where personal growth comes from. Breathing through the emotions and still making choices that empower you is the way through the fear. Your reactions and responses are what mold you into the person you want to become.
One example that I remind myself of is of the Dalai Lama. When the Dalai Lama was forced to flee his country, lose his home, and be set adrift on the seas of change, he had all the same choices as any human being—to be bitter and angry or to choose another path. He has chosen the path of compassion, gratitude, generosity, and maybe most especially laughter.
Start with these four questions:
- What attitude or mindset are you choosing right now?
- How is this mindset or attitude impacting your situation?
- What story, belief, attitude or mindset are you holding onto, that stalls forward motion in your life?
- What difficult truth are you avoiding or ignoring?
These are important questions for all of us.
You are always at choice in your life. Let me repeat this… You are always at choice.
We each have that moment when the proverbial “shit hits the fan.” In whatever form or fashion that happens for you, ask yourself these next four questions to move forward through your plot twist:
- What options and pathways are set before me?
- How will I embrace my opportunities to be a hero and leader in my own journey?
- What impact would I like to have on others, my family, my community, and the world?
- And, of the paths before me, which one will bring me closer to my goals, with less suffering?
It’s your choice; so choose wisely.
I would LOVE to hear from YOU!
- What suffering do you need to let go of, so you can move forward in your life?
- What tools do you use to help yourself do this?
Leave a comment below and share your thoughts.
Watch, on demand, 3 Secrets for Finding Love!
all Photo copyright retained by photo owners, everything else © 2018-19 Lyssa deHart